I’ve partnered with SOS – Save Our Streams today to let you know about a new water and money-saving initiative. They are on a mission to help us reduce water waste to save our chalk streams.
Chalk streams are some of the rarest waterways on the planet, there are 260 true chalk streams in the world and 224 of them are right here in England! The water in these streams is stunningly clear, pure and rich with minerals which makes it the ideal home for a range of birds, fish and small mammals. Chalk streams don’t do too well in the heat and can dry up in the summer months leaving all that flora and fauna without a home so if we can all make the effort to save more water and lessen the load on the water systems we can prevent this happening.
What is Save Our Streams?
Save Our Streams has been set up by Affinity Water and is the UK’s biggest ever water-saving initiative, focused on saving our incredibly rare chalk streams, and the habitats they provide for local wildlife.
They are offering FREE water-saving gadgets to people (who live in the following areas – Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Surrey and various London Boroughs) who fill out their short questionnaire, it literally takes 3 minutes, to learn more about your water usage.
DID YOU KNOW…
- Taking just 10 seconds off your usual shower time can save three litres of water. Meaning you could drink nearly 4,000 extra cups of tea a year and still reduce your water usage
- Aim for a 4-minute shower to save up to 15 litres of water (per shower)
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, and save over 6,500 litres of water a year
- Save water and electricity by only boiling enough water for your immediate use
- Hang up your hose – this uses as much water in an hour as the average family of 4 uses in a day and a half
From just filling the kettle with what you need to turning the tap off when you’re brushing your teeth – if everyone makes a few small changes it can add up to a huge difference.
Get Your FREE Water Saving Gadgets
To get your FREE water-saving gadgets all you have to do is click on this link here to fill in the short quiz and your free water-saving gadgets will be sent straight to you.